Monday, July 28, 2014

[7/28/2014] Week 73: Where does the time go?

Wow, we worked super hard this week. We did so much finding! It felt really good each evening to know that we had been diligent all day. We did find one new investigator, Aaron, who accepted baptismal date right off! We will see him again this evening before ward home evening.

DeMarkeyas (my immediate right) was baptized into the Mill
Creek ward on Saturday. He and his new wife, Osharrhea, moved
back to Alabama for school today. They are so wonderful!
I was secretly hoping that I would stay with Elder Haupu. We had a (I don't know if this is really the right terminology, but I'll use it because it's fun to say) knock-down, drag-out companionship inventory -- where we discuss personal and companionship goals, point out strengths, and ask for suggestions on how to improve (Preach My Gospel, p. 150) -- this week. We finally were able to flesh out every little thing we've been bothered or concerned about, and honestly, things are so much better now. I look at the missionary that I was two transfers ago and compare that image to who I am now, and I'll tell you what, I have learned so much from Elder Haupu. He's helped me get out of a lot of shells, and I'm really grateful for that. During district meeting this week, we were trained on companionship unity and loving and serving each other, and that was super helpful as well; I learned a lot about Elder Haupu that was pretty crucial in communicating with and understanding him specifically. I was sad knowing that we had finally gotten past all of this negativity/unaddressed friction and that it was likely we would part ways after this transfer. But hey, we all know how unpredictable President Bonham is.

I can't believe Christian goes through the Temple to receive his own endowment on Thursday! I'm so excited for him to start his mission!

Wellp, a new transfer ahead. Should be a wild ride!

[From my Dad]: I told Cole I was going to meet a young man and his pastor for lunch tomorrow. I was anxious that the Pastor would attack me for talking to his protegĂ© about the Gospel, "trying to lure him away." I wasn't, and I only wish to share good feelings and fullness of truth with other Christians. I don't want to fight about the Gospel with anyone. The next couple of paragraphs contain his response to my fears. I definitely needed to hear his reassuring testimony.] 

And Dad, this morning, in fact, we were perusing ties in Value Village (a common thrift store up here) when we were approached by a random stranger who had all kinds of crazy things to say about our beliefs. He just wanted to argue. In the middle of the store! He had no interest in our thoughts or in having a healthy conversation. With all the respect we could muster, we invited him to have a nice day. That's something that I face nearly every day of my mission. A lot of people like to tell us what we believe. There is a lot of persecution. I can tell you that these experiences rarely get to me and do not shake my faith. It is because I do my best to fear God more than man. I know that my conviction is a precious gift given to me by God. It came through no one else. It was a powerful answer to my prayers, and I know it is real. I don't need imperfect men to tell me what I believe about God when I have learned about God from God Himself. The adversary will try and get you to forget that, and he can be pretty good at it. But remember who you are. Pops, you as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and as a holder of the restored priesthood of God represent Him. You are entitled to inspiration. That inspiration will include what to say as well as how to act. I have learned time and time again as a missionary that it is more important to preserve His image as humble and meek and loving than to get your words in there and prove yourself right --- if it gets to that point, I promise your "contender" won't even hear you.

That's my two cents. I know you already know that. But I just took the opportunity to write that to remind myself of what I know.

I love y'all!

Elder Martin

The district!



No comments:

Post a Comment